COVID-19 vaccines are considered highly effective, and each can dramatically reduce a person's chance of hospitalization or death due to COVID-19.
Extra fluid can be dangerous and cause extra strain on your body, especially your heart and lungs. Fluid overload can lead to recurrent admissions to hospital with elevated blood pressure , congestive heart failure and have heart attacks.
Your dry weight is measured in kilograms. One kilogram is 2.2 pounds. Most hemodialysis patients are advised to limit their weight gain per treatment to no more than 1 kilogram per day (2.2 pounds) between dialysis sessions. 1 kilogram may not sound like a lot. However, when you think of it as almost 4-7 pounds of fluid that needs to be removed, you can start to see how important it is to limit how much fluid you take in between treatments.
The amount of fluid that could be removed in a dialysis session is restricted. As too much fluid removal in one session can cause problems with low blood pressure, dizziness or loss of consciousness , leg cramps and heart problems.
Things you can do to help :
Our team at kingwood kidney associates can help attain dry weight based on your needs. In general,
- Watch your fluid intake.
- Most hemodialysis patients should not drink more than 32 ounces per day.
- Follow a kidney-friendly diet.
- Avoid salty foods. Salt makes your body hold on to extra fluid. It will also make you thirstier, which makes it harder to control your fluid intake between treatments.
- Keep track of your daily weight. Keeping track of your weight is important between dialysis sessions.
You know you are at dry weight if
- Your blood pressure is within your normal range after dialysis or before your next session.
- You do not experience lightheadedness or cramping during or between dialysis sessions .
- You do not have swelling in your legs, feet, arms, hands, or around your eyes.
- Your breathing is comfortable and easy.
Call us at kingwood kidney associates 281-401-9540 to schedule your appointment to learn about dialysis and learn more about dry weight .
You can also schedule your appointment online using the booking tool on this page. Book your examination today.